Monday, August 8, 2011

Calling the Common Pauraque

I've been working night security for the past few months and although I haven't been able to enjoy the daytime birding as much as I'd like to ... there are definitely nighttime birding activities one can pursue.
Sunset and dusk are often busy times for daytime birds looking for places to roost overnight and settling in. Then the nocturnal birding begins! If you are lucky you can catch a glimpse of the Nightjar as it carves the night air in it's hunt for flying insects. But night birding is more of an aural adventure. Find a spot to sit and you will often hear the hooting of the owls and the twitter of small field birds.
Tonight's spotting was the Common Pauraque. I used my iPhone to play the nightcall and was soon rewarded with an answering call. Distant at first but then suddenly closer and louder. This bird was curious! I took a chance and shone my flashlight in the direction the calls were coming from and by sheer luck I saw a pair of brilliantly reflective eyes peering back at me. Then even more surprising it launched and flew past me towards the fields. I was startled to say the least!
Nightime birding can definitely have it's rewards and surprises. :)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Del Rio Blvd,Quemado,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment